Each semester, the Friday Center awards three scholarships to part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students age 24 or older studying at UNC-Chapel Hill. The Friday Adult Learner Scholarship is named for former UNC President Bill Friday, who strove to make a university education available to all citizens of North Carolina.

Funding for the scholarship comes directly from donor contributions. Read the story below from a spring scholarship recipient, and consider a donation to the Friday Adult Learner Scholarship to help students like Brett achieve their goal of getting back in the classroom and working toward their degree.

“My reasons and objectives for transferring and continuing my education at The University of North Carolina at this stage in my life are two-fold:

-to finish what I started many years ago by obtaining an undergraduate degree in Sports Administration, and

-to then further my education by pursuing a master’s degree in business administration, which will allow me the opportunity to reach my professional goals–to work within an athletic department at the collegiate level.

Life has presented me with many challenges which have afforded me the opportunities to learn a lot about myself along the way. Of all the challenges I have confronted, my greatest victory is over alcoholism. Maintaining my sobriety has allowed me the opportunity to refocus on what is most meaningful to me, and earning my degree is on the top of my list. I have learned a lot about myself and what I really want out of life.

Athletics have been an important part of my life since my youth. This passion for sports has afforded me to work in event management positions. However, at this point, my advancement into higher-level opportunities has been blocked due to the lack of a university degree and experience within a collegiate athletic department. Returning to finish what I started at the University of North Carolina will afford me the opportunities and the tools I will need to achieve my goals.

My battle with alcohol, at times, was overwhelming. At first I was taught to attack it one day at a time. I could not live the next day until I lived today first. Today, I am able to look beyond ‘one day at a time’ and have a clear picture of what I want my future to look like.

My choices, for better or worse, have shaped who I am and who I want to be. The lessons I’ve learned have carried over to other parts of my life where I have applied a ‘one day at a time’ approach. This same approach will contribute to my success in achieving my educational goals.

Much has changed since I was last in a college classroom. I look forward to the challenges ahead of me as I pursue my education.  I know The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will provide me the opportunity to meet new challenges head-on and reach heights that just a few years ago seemed out of reach.

Interested in our other Spring 2017 Friday Adult Learner Scholarship winners? Learn more about Allison and Owen, and how their scholarship helps them reach their educational goals.