UNC-Chapel Hill is closely monitoring the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19. There are no confirmed cases on UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus at this time. However, the University has put in place several precautionary measures, effective March 11:
- Spring break is extended through March 22. No academic instruction will be offered. We strongly encourage students to remain off campus. Instructors will provide further information in the coming week regarding coursework and assignments.
- Remote instruction for the majority of courses will begin the week of March 23 and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Faculty and teaching assistants will hear from the Provost’s office soon regarding the resources on Keep Teaching.
- Campus will remain open and operational during the extended spring break and during the period of remote instruction. We recognize that some students will need to return to campus, so the campus will be open, including residence and dining halls, libraries and Campus Health. If you are a student who is able to take all classes remotely, we strongly encourage you to remain off campus until further notice.
- Campus events for more than 50 attendees are canceled effective immediately. Event organizers must postpone, cancel or explore virtual options for any University-affiliated event with more than 50 people both on- and off-campus until further notice.
We know that our community of lifelong learners will be impacted in many ways by these decisions.
- Our spring Community Classroom daytime enrichment classes have been canceled.
- Our Holocaust Cantata has been postponed indefinitely.
- We are working with Friday Conference Center clients and guests to rebook or cancel events, as required.
- Our Paralegal program and bootcamps will shift to an online format per University guidance.
If you have concerns about a class or event, please call 919-962-1134 or contact us via our webform. If you have concerns about a conference center event or reservation, please call 919-962-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will communicate with our students, clients, and partners as quickly and thoroughly as we can as this situation unfolds. Meanwhile, if you have questions about the University’s response to the novel coronavirus, you can visit www.unc.edu/coronavirus.