BIOL 101: Principles of Biology
An introduction to the fundamental principles of biology, including cell structure, chemistry and function, genetics, evolution, adaptation, and ecology.
Required for the Online Version
Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections with MasteringBiology®, 9th edition, by Taylor, Simon, Dickey, Hogan and Reece.
They are required to purchase access to MasteringBiology.com, an online learning resource, which will serve as the platform for completing and submitting assignments.
There are three options for purchase:
- An eText (electronic text) of Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections (no printed copy), and access to the MasteringBiology website. ISBN 9780134606125. (Available from com)
- A printed, bound copy of Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections and access card package to the MasteringBiology website. ISBN 9780134240688. You are responsible for purchasing the correct edition and materials for this course. You can purchase textbooks from UNC Student Stores.
- A loose-leaf,unbound copy of Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections 9e and access card package to the MasteringBiology website. ISBN 9780134536347. Available from UNC Student Stores.
Required for the Correspondence Version
- Dickey, Hogan, Reece, Simon, and Taylor, Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections, 8th edition (2015), Pearson, ISBN 978-0321885326
- Dickey, Reece, Simon, and Taylor, Study Guide for Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections, ed. Liebaert, 7th edition (2012), ISBN 978-0321742582
Note: Currently, there is no study guide for the 8th edition of the textbook.
You can find information on how to purchase textbooks and required materials on the Textbooks page of the Friday Center website.
- Instructor: Peter DeSaix, PhD
- Credit-granting Institution: UNC-Chapel Hill
- Credit Hours: 3, does not include lab
- Number of Assignments: online version 11, correspondence version 10
- View a sample course syllabus for the online course.
- View a sample course syllabus for the correspondence course.