ENGL 345: American Literature, 1900-2000
2nd Summer Session 2019 (5½ weeks: June 24–July 30)
Modern and Contemporary American Satire
This course explores critical and theoretical approaches to modern and contemporary American literary satire by authors including Kurt Vonnegut, Paul Beatty, and Chuck Palahniuk.
Vonnegut, Kurt, Slaughterhouse-Five, ISBN 978-0385333849
Parker, Dorothy, The Portable Dorothy Parker, ISBN 978-0143039532
Beatty, Paul, The Sellout: A Novel, ISBN 978-1250083258
Palahniuk, Chuck, Fight Club: A Novel, ISBN 978-0393327342
Test, George, Satire: Spirit and Art (1986), ISBN 978-0813010878
Note: Excerpts of this text are provided via Course Reserves.
- Blazing Saddles, directed by Mel Brooks (1974; Warner Home Video, 2004), DVD. 93 min.
- Destry Rides Again, directed by George Marshall (1939; MCA Universal Home Video, 2003), DVD. 94 min.
- These films are available at the Media Resources Center at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Undergraduate Library. You can rent or purchase the film at an additional cost (approximately $2.99) through video streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Video, iTunes, or Google Play.
You can find information on how to purchase textbooks and required materials on the Textbooks page of the Friday Center website.
- Instructor: Marc Cohen, PhD
- Department: English and Comparative Literature
- Credit Hours: 3
- Prerequisite(s): a second-semester college-level composition course or permission of instructor
- View a sample course syllabus for the online course.