SPAN 101: Elementary Spanish I
Fall Semester 2019 (August 20–December 13)
Summer 2019 (11 weeks: May 15–July 30)
SPAN 101 is designed to introduce you to the Spanish language and many facets of Hispanic culture, and to develop all language skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Because SPAN 101 is a three-credit hour course, you can expect to devote a minimum of 10 hours a week to study, in addition to attending the weekly Virtual Class session.
In this course, you will develop your ability to communicate in Spanish in everyday situations. Upon completion, you will be able to comprehend and respond with grammatical accuracy to basic spoken and written Spanish and demonstrate cultural awareness.
The textbook for this course is Heining-Boynton and Cowell, ¡Anda! Curso elemental, 3/e. Access to the online interactive language lab, MySpanishLab, is also required.
UNC Student Stores offers several options for purchasing the required materials. Please choose one of the following options:
- Option 1: eText version of ¡Anda! Curso elemental, 3/e, with MySpanishLab access. ISBN: 9781323489529.
- Option 2: Looseleaf, unbound textbook, ¡Anda! Curso elemental, 3/e, with multi-semester MySpanishLab access. ISBN: 9781323511237
You can find information on how to purchase textbooks and required materials on the Textbooks page of the Friday Center website.
Computer System Requirements
- You must have a computer headset (microphone and earphones).
- Student are required to attend a virtual (online) classroom session (via a webconferencing tool) each week, Monday at 7 pm.
- Instructor: Alicia Shade
- Department: Romance Studies
- Credit Hours: 3
- View a sample course syllabus for the online course.