Frequently Asked Questions

Are there restrictions on the courses I can take at UNC-Chapel Hill?

In addition to the evening courses scheduled for part-time students in particular, Classroom Studies students can take any course that they have met the prerequisites for if there is room in the class. If you want to take graduate-level courses, you must obtain permission from the department offering the class.

Are the classes I took many years ago still applicable toward a degree?

In most cases, yes; however, if you are seeking a degree in a health-related field, you might need to re-take some science courses.

Is financial aid available?

Each semester, the Friday Center awards one or more Friday Adult Learner Scholarships to students admitted to Part-time Classroom Studies. To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, you must be a part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate who is at least 24 years old. The scholarship can be used for college expenses for one semester. Past recipients are eligible to apply for subsequent semesters. To apply, send a one-page letter describing your goals and your need for the scholarship, along with your name and PID, by the deadline. For application deadlines and more details, visit the Friday Adult Learner Scholarship page.

Other financial aid may be available if you are a degree-seeking student with a documented need, or if you are taking classes that are required for entry into a graduate or professional program. For details, contact the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid.

Must I fill out a residency form?

To qualify as a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes, you must complete a residency status form.

If I recently graduated from high school, can I become a Part-time Classroom Studies student?

Part-time Classroom Studies is a program for adults who wish to return to college or begin college on a part-time basis. You must have been away from a traditional school setting for at least one year before enrolling.

If I have an undergraduate degree in a field unrelated to the graduate program I wish to pursue, what classes should I take to become a competitive candidate?

A good source of information about graduate admissions at UNC-Chapel Hill is the Graduate Record. We also encourage you to make an appointment with an advisor in the department you are considering to discuss your options.

Will a low GPA on my record from long ago be a disadvantage to me now?

Your entire academic record is a part of your application, but typically a student who has been away from school for some time can overcome a low GPA by taking some classes and performing successfully.

Can I earn a second bachelor’s degree from UNC-Chapel Hill?

No, except in certain health-related fields.

Can I get a degree through Part-time Classroom Studies?

Part-time Classroom Studies does not grant degrees. However, if you are an undergraduate, you can remain a part-time student until your last semester. At that point, if qualified, you can transfer to one of the University’s upper-level schools or colleges and be classified as a full-time student to complete your undergraduate degree, even if you take an underload your last semester (see Transferring). There is no transfer opportunity available to Graduate School; if you are a postbaccalaureate student, you must apply directly to the Graduate School and the specific department or professional school.

Do online and correspondence courses count toward a degree?

Online and correspondence classes carry the same credit as courses taught in the classroom; however, UNC-Chapel Hill allows only six courses toward a degree. You must have your advisor’s written approval to take Self-paced Courses.

How many credit hours per term can I earn through Part-time Classroom Studies?

As a Part-time Classroom Studies student, you can register for a maximum of eight credit hours per semester. If you are a part-time undergraduate student, you can appeal to take more than eight credit hours during the last semester before transferring to full-time. You are also allowed to take two courses that total more than eight credit hours.

Can courses I take at UNC-Chapel Hill be transferred to another school?

It is always up to the degree-granting institution to determine what courses will count toward graduation. If you are seeking a degree from a college other than UNC-Chapel Hill, you should check with that school about transferability.

How many undergraduate hours will transfer in from another school?

UNC-Chapel Hill will accept up to 64 hours earned at two-year schools and 75 hours earned at four-year schools. It will accept 75 hours from a combination of two- and four-year schools if the credit from the four-year school is earned last. You must earn at least 45 hours of credit and take half of your major courses at UNC-Chapel Hill in order to earn a degree from UNC-Chapel Hill.

How will the new Undergraduate Curriculum affect me?

If you bring in at least 24 hours of transfer credit as a degree-seeking student, you can follow the pre-2006 curriculum. If you do not have at least 24 hours of transfer credit, you must follow the new curriculum. Although degree requirements will be somewhat different, you will most likely be able to use all of your transfer credits in the new curriculum.

Can I get an accommodation if I have a disability?

If you are a student with a documented learning disability or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, you can receive assistance through ADHD/LD Services. If you have a documented disability, you can receive services through the Department of Accessibility Resources & Service. You must self-identify through Accessibility Resources to receive services or accommodation from either of these offices. Accessibility Resources works closely with programs, offices, and departments throughout the University to help create an accessible environment.

The office is located in Suite 2126 of the Student Academic Services Building (SASB), 450 Ridge Road, and is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. Contact them by phone at 919-962-8300 (V) or 711 (NC-RELAY) or by email at For more information, visit the Department of Accessibility Resources & Service.

Can I audit a course?

If you are interested in auditing a course, visit Registration Policies for information on the process.