Attendance, Grades, Transcripts, and Eligibility

Class Attendance

As a Part-time Classroom Studies student, you are obligated to have regular class attendance. You are responsible for all work, including tests and written work, and for all class meetings. No right or privilege allows you to be absent from any given number of class meetings. Instructors keep attendance records and will report students who miss three consecutive class meetings, or more classes than the instructor deems advisable, to the academic dean for appropriate action. If you have to miss a class because of other obligations, discuss your situation with your instructor.

It is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s policy to hold classes and continue normal operations despite inclement weather. Any closings or delays will be noted on or via the Weather and Disaster Hotline (919-843-1234).


Undergraduate courses are graded on a plus-minus scale: A, B, C, D, F (A+ and D– grades are not given.) Each letter grade is assigned a numerical value called a quality point. To determine a quality point average for a semester’s work, multiply the number of credit hours assigned to each course by the number of quality points assigned to the grade, add the quality points received for all courses that semester, and divide by the number of credit hours attempted in the semester. The list below shows the quality points represented by each letter grade.

A = 4.0

A– = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B– = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C– = 1.7

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

F = 0.0

Grades earned and credit hours attempted at other institutions are not included in the calculation of your University quality point average.

Graduate courses are graded on the following scale:

H (clear excellence)

P (entirely satisfactory)

L (low passing)

F (failed).

If you are a postbaccalaureate student registering for courses numbered 400–699, you may receive either graduate or undergraduate grades in those courses. It is your responsibility to talk with the professor at the beginning of the semester to determine the grade scale by which your work will be evaluated. The grade of D is considered equivalent to L. (See information on postbaccalaureate eligibility.)

If you are a postbaccalaureate student taking courses numbered 0-399 (which are all undergraduate courses), you will receive A-F grades. However, no academic credit will be awarded for these courses according to the following University policy:

Courses approved for undergraduate credit only (at UNC-Chapel Hill, those numbered below 400), including required prerequisite courses, will not be counted toward academic program requirements, do not count toward full-time enrollment status, will not carry either course or residence credit, and will not be entered into the student’s Graduate School academic eligibility calculation.

Temporary grades may be used with either undergraduate or graduate courses to indicate that you have not completed all course work: There are three types of temporary grades: FA, AB, and IN.

FA means Absent from Final Examination with no possibility of passing the course, 0 quality points.
AB means Absent from Final Examination, 0 quality points unless excused and until the excused absence is removed. If not removed, an AB converts to a permanent F. Undergraduates have one semester to remove an excused AB. Postbaccalaureate students have one year to remove an AB.
IN means Work Incomplete, 0 quality points until removed. If not removed, an IN will convert to a permanent F after eight weeks from the beginning of the next regular semester (for undergraduates) OR after one year (for postbaccalaureate students).

Requesting a Transcript

To order a transcript from UNC-Chapel Hill, see Transcripts & Certifications.

Maintaining Eligibility


Academic standing for part-time, degree seeking undergraduates will be determined by the following three standards:

  • minimum GPA of 2.0
  • completion of at least 2/3 of cumulative attempted credit hours
  • a maximum degree-completion timeframe of 180 hours

For degree seeking undergraduates, there are four academic eligibility statuses:

  1. good standing (students who meet each of the three standards at the end of an enrolled term)
  2. warning (students who began an enrolled term in good standing but did not meet all three academic standing standards at the end of the enrolled term. Students with a warning may enroll in classes and complete an academic intervention plan)
  3. suspension (students who began an enrolled term with a status of warning but did not meet all three academic standing standards at the end of the enrolled term. Students in this status must appeal for probation or spend time engaging in study, work or wellness activities away from UNC)
  4. probation (students who appealed suspension and are granted a term of probation)

For non-degree seeking undergraduates, there are three academic statuses:

  1. good standing
  2. alert
  3. ineligible

For further information regarding academic eligibility, contact the academic advisor for Part-time Classroom Studies.


Postbaccalaureates are not permitted to continue under the following circumstances: those who have received a single grade of F/F* or cumulative grades of D and/or L in nine or more hours of coursework in courses numbered 400 or above will be declared ineligible. Temporary grades of IN and AB convert to an F after one year if not removed (for postbaccalaureate students). For undergraduate students, a temporary grade of IN converts to an F eight weeks into the following semester. A grade of AB converts to an F after one semester.

Restoring Eligibility

Degree-seeking undergraduate students who began an enrolled term with a status of warning but did not meet all three academic standing standards at the end of the enrolled term are suspended. Students with an academic status of Suspension have two options: a) appeal for a term of probation or b) spend time engaging in study, work or wellness activities away from UNC which may strengthen an appeal to return on a term of probation.

Students who appealed suspension and are granted a term of probation may enroll in courses and must complete an academic intervention plan.

Postbaccalaureate students must petition to the Appeals Board for reinstatement after becoming ineligible. See Appeals for more information.