Frequently Asked Questions

When can I enroll?

You can enroll at any time of the year and begin work immediately.

Do I need special approval?

You need special approval only if you are a degree candidate or attending classes at the time of enrollment. Limitations vary by institution. If you are a degree candidate, consult with your advisor to ensure that you have all necessary approvals before enrolling.

What is the difference between the online and correspondence courses?

When you enroll in an online course, you will receive information on how to access the website that contains all of your lessons, assignments, and instructions. When you enroll in a correspondence course, you will receive a printed course manual that contains all of your lessons, assignments, and instructions. In both cases, you can begin submitting assignments as soon as you have your textbooks and other course materials.

Is the program accredited?

Yes. All participating institutions offering Self-paced Courses are fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

Do online and correspondence courses count toward a degree?

Courses taken through Carolina Courses Online (CCO) and Self-paced Courses (SPC) carry the same credit as courses taught in the classroom. You may transfer the credits to another college and receive degree credit there if your college has agreed to accept them. UNC-Chapel Hill students should review the policy governing the use of distance-learning courses prior to enrolling.

How quickly can I finish my course?

You can begin work on your course immediately after enrolling. The minimum time to complete a course is twelve weeks for a 3-credit-hour course, nine weeks for a 2-credit-hour course, and six weeks for a 1-credit-hour course.

Will there be a final exam?

You must pass a supervised final exam for most courses to receive credit for the course. The exam must be supervised at an accredited college, university, community college, or technical college. If you are serving in the military, you may have your exam(s) supervised by an education officer on your base or ship. If you do not have access to a postsecondary institution or need help locating a site, contact Credit Programs for Part-time Students for assistance. Most sites charge a small fee. Examinations are supervised at the Friday Center for a $15 fee.

What if I can’t complete my course in nine months?

Your original enrollment period can be extended for four months with a renewal fee of $30. The renewal period begins immediately at the end of the original nine-month enrollment period. A second extension can be granted when certain conditions are met.

How many courses can I enroll in at once?

You can enroll in a maximum of two Self-paced Courses at one time.

What if I change my mind and want to take a different course?

You can transfer from one course to another if you make your request within 30 days of your enrollment date. You will be charged a fee of $25 per credit hour. You cannot transfer your enrollment to another student.

Can I get an accommodation if I have a disability?

If you are a student with a documented learning disability or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, you can receive assistance through ADHD/LD Services. If you have a documented disability, you can receive services through the Department of Accessibility Resources & Service. You must self-identify through Accessibility Resources in order to receive services or accommodation from either of these offices. Accessibility Resources works closely with programs, offices, and departments throughout the University to help create an accessible environment.

The office is located in Suite 2126 of the Student Academic Services Building (SASB), 450 Ridge Road, and is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. You can contact them by phone at 919-962-8300 (V) or 711 (NC-RELAY) or by email at For more information, visit the Department of Accessibility Resources & Service.

Will I have access to library services?

If you live near a university library, ask them about “community borrower” privileges that might be available to you. If you have access to the Internet, many online resources are available. Local public libraries might help you obtain resources through interlibrary loan arrangements; in North Carolina, such requests would be made to the State Library of North Carolina. If you have difficulty gaining access to a library, contact Credit Programs for Part-time Students for advice and assistance.