Financial Aid

If you are a UNC-Chapel Hill degree-seeking student who is enrolled for at least six credit hours, financial aid may be available to you. Most students who take only Self-paced Courses are not considered degree-seeking. Contact the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid, CB# 2300 Vance Hall, Chapel Hill NC 27599-2300 (telephone 919-962-8396) if you feel you may be eligible.

The Friday Center offers no financial aid programs, but financial aid may be available to you through a variety of sources, such as the following:

VA Benefits

If you are a veteran (or eligible beneficiary) or active duty military personnel who has completed 90 days or more of active duty service (30 days if discharged for disability), you may be eligible for VA benefits. To be eligible at UNC-Chapel Hill Friday Center, you must already be admitted and enrolled in a degree program at an institution of higher education. Please note that simply enrolling in Self-paced Courses does not constitute admission to a degree program. Contact Credit Programs for Part-time Students for further information and VA forms.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation is a North Carolina public service program that helps people with disabilities obtain employment. In order to qualify, you must be a North Carolina resident with a mental, physical, or learning disability that constitutes an impediment to employment. Each program is designed individually with the student. Assistance with tuition and fees, room, board, transportation, and books is based on your individual financial need. Assessment services, counseling, and job-related services such as job placement are provided without regard to your financial need. Apply at the Vocational Rehabilitation office near your hometown. A listing of offices and other information is available through the Program Specialist for Transition Services, 2801 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-2801; 919-855-3500 (phone); 919-855-3579 (TTY); 919-733-7968 (fax); on the web; or email

Local Education Agencies

Some local school systems may offer teachers and other personnel reimbursement for tuition and fees for college credit. This decision is made by the employing school unit. Contact your local coordinator of staff development prior to registering for a course to ask about reimbursement.

Outreach to Inmates

Funded through a contract between the NC Department of Correction and the UNC-Chapel Hill Friday Center for Continuing Education, Outreach to Inmates pays the course costs enabling a limited number of qualified North Carolina inmates to enroll in correspondence courses each year. Students in the Outreach to Inmates program are limited to one course enrollment at a time and must provide their own funds for second renewals. For more information, contact the Correctional Education Program at 919-962-2648 or 800-862-5669.


If you are an active member of the United States Armed Forces, you may be eligible for financial assistance with fees through the DANTES program. DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) is designed for the benefit of service members on active duty who desire to continue their education on a part-time basis outside the traditional classroom environment. The University of North Carolina participates in the DANTES program.

Enrollment procedures through DANTES require that you consult the DANTES Independent Study Catalog, copies of which are available at all military education centers. The Catalog lists credit courses offered by all participating institutions.

If you are enrolling in a UNC course, submit a completed DD Form 1562/31, signed by you and your education officer, education specialist, or commanding officer, to Credit Programs for Part-time Students. Along with this form, submit payment for the exact amount of tuition required as indicated under UNC’s listing in the DANTES Catalog or update. Make this check payable to Friday Center for Continuing Education. If you are ordering books from Friday Center Books & Gifts, print out and send the book order form on this website (or the one in the DANTES Independent Study Catalog), along with a money order made payable to Friday Center Books & Gifts, to the address indicated on the book order form, or use the online ordering option. If you are claiming VA reimbursement, submit two copies of the DD Form 1562/31 and a VA Form 22-1990a.

Copies of the DD Form 1562/31 should be obtained from the military education center or education officer. You can request further information about the DANTES program from these sources or from Credit Programs for Part-time Students.

UNC-Chapel Hill Employees

If you are a UNC-Chapel Hill employee, you can use the tuition waiver program to enroll in Self-paced Courses. Financial assistance may also be available through the Educational Assistance Fund. For information, contact the Office of Human Resources, 919-962-3071.