Transcripts and Grades


If you need a transcript, you should request it from the registrar of the UNC institution offering the course. Most institutions charge a small transcript fee. We’ll provide you with a transcript request form when we mail your final grade report. If you need a transcript on a particular date, arrange your work so that you can take the final exam a minimum of three weeks before your deadline. If you’re taking an exam at a location other than the Friday Center, you may want to arrange to have your exam sent via express mail to your exam supervisor and back to the Friday Center (you will be responsible for special mailing costs). For transcripts of UNC-Chapel Hill courses, see Transcript Services.


The grading system of the institution offering a course will be used and the same academic standards that apply to courses taught in residence will apply to Self-paced Courses. The following grading system is currently in effect: A, B, C, D, F. Pluses (+) and minuses (-) are used at ASU, NCSU, UNC-Chapel Hill, and WCU. However, UNC-Chapel Hill does not use A+ or D- and ASU does not use A+.

Postbaccalaureate students taking courses from UNC-Chapel Hill numbered 0–399 will receive A–F grades but will receive no academic credit for these courses. For UNC-Chapel Hill courses numbered 400 and higher, postbaccalaureate students will receive H-P-L-F grades.

Grades for credit courses are recorded at the records office of the institution offering the course. Records for courses not taken for credit, including records of those awarding Continuing Education Units, are maintained at the Friday Center.