Limitations on Credit Earned

You may not enroll in a course for which you have previously received credit without the prior approval of Credit Programs for Part-time Students.

If you are enrolling in a course in order to restore academic eligibility at a UNC institution, please make certain that the course carries credit from the institution at which you are seeking a degree.

The following additional limitations apply to degree-seeking students:

Appalachian State University

A maximum of 20 semester hours of online or correspondence course work from recognized institutions may be credited toward the requirements for graduation at Appalachian State University. Some courses are offered by the University. Before registering for a correspondence or online course offered by another accredited institution, students must have written permission of the dean of their college or their academic advisor if they have not declared a major. In order to obtain this permission, the student must first secure the proper form from the Registrar’s Office. The combined load of residence courses and correspondence or online courses may not exceed the maximum load allowed.

East Carolina University

You may earn credit hours toward an East Carolina University undergraduate degree through extension and/or correspondence work. You may enroll in correspondence or extension courses while taking work in residence at ECU, but only with specific prior approval. A maximum of 15 percent of the total hours required for graduation will be allowed through correspondence courses. You will not receive credit for correspondence courses in your major field.

Elizabeth City State University

You may use no more than 24 hours of credit earned through correspondence or online study toward your degree. The individual departments of Elizabeth City State University have the right to determine which credits are applicable toward the degree and the amount of credit for each course taken through correspondence. You must submit a written request for approval from the chairperson of the department or division in which you have a major and from the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

NC State University

The number of Self-paced Courses online course credits that can be applied toward a given degree is determined by individual departments and/or colleges. If you are enrolled or plan to enroll in an on-campus degree program, you should check with the appropriate academic department and obtain from the department head (or departmental coordinator of advising) written approval that the course will satisfy degree requirements.

Self-paced Courses courses are not intended for general use if you are currently enrolled full time in an NC State University degree program. However, you may enroll in or continue a course that you cannot complete before the beginning of a new semester or summer session, provided you obtain the written permission of your college dean. Send this written permission to Credit Programs for Part-time Students.

UNC-Chapel Hill

Undergraduate Students

If you have ever been admitted to UNC-Chapel Hill as a baccalaureate degree-seeking student, and you have not yet earned that degree (or any higher degree) but you still intend to do so, you must obtain the signature of the dean of the school or college to which you have been admitted. Space is provided on the enrollment form for this signature. Degree-seeking students at UNC-Chapel Hill will only be approved to take Self-paced Courses in exceptional circumstances.

You are required to indicate on the enrollment form whether you are a UNC-Chapel Hill degree-seeking student. This indication is subject to official verification of your status. You are also subject to special policies when withdrawing from a course (see Withdrawing from Your Course). Enrollment in Self-paced Courses courses is not considered part of any semester’s or summer session’s course load.

If you are a UNC-Chapel Hill degree-seeking student who is academically ineligible or not currently attending, you will need the signature of your academic advisor or dean giving you approval to enroll (see Advisor/Dean Approval Form).

If you are a student in the General College or the College of Arts and Sciences, please read the Arts and Sciences policy on taking Self-paced Courses (go to the policy governing the use of distance-learning courses prior to enrolling). Self-paced Courses cannot be counted toward a degree in the College of Arts & Sciences unless there are exceptional circumstances. Students must secure the permission of their academic dean in advance of enrolling in such courses.

Graduate-Level Students

If you are a postbaccalaureate student taking courses numbered 0-399 (which are all undergraduate courses), you will receive A-F grades. However, no academic credit will be awarded for these courses according to the following University policy:

Courses approved for undergraduate credit only (at UNC-Chapel Hill, those numbered below 400), including required prerequisite courses, will not be counted toward academic program requirements, do not count toward full-time enrollment status, will not carry either course or residence credit, and will not be entered into the student’s Graduate School academic eligibility calculation.


Currently enrolled undergraduate students pursuing a degree at UNC-Greensboro must have written approval from the Office of Student Academic Services prior to enrollment in any correspondence or online course. Undergraduate students not currently enrolled at UNC-Greensboro should also consult the Office of Student Academic Services to ensure that courses will fulfill appropriate University and departmental requirements. For UNC-Greensboro students, correspondence and online courses taught by UNC-Greensboro may count as residence credit.

Western Carolina University

Approval from your advisor is required for any course to be applied toward a degree at Western Carolina University. Also, you must take at least 30 hours of credit toward your degree in residence at Western Carolina University.

Winston-Salem State University

You may earn up to 30 hours of credit toward a degree through correspondence or online study.